Top tips for pregnancy related back and pelvic girdle pain
Pregnancy is one of the most exciting times of our lives but along with the excitement can also come challenges. Just one of these challenges is pregnancy related back and pelvic girdle pain (PGP). Pain or discomfort is often felt over the pubic joint at the front, below your tummy, or across one or both sides of your lower back.
Symptoms can vary and are more severe in some women than others. As well as pain symptoms can include:
· Difficulty walking
· Pain when standing on one leg – climbing stairs, dressing, getting in/out of the bath or car
· Clicking within the pelvic joint
· Limited or painful hip movements
· Difficulty turning over in bed
· Pain during sexual intercourse
These symptoms can be actively treated with expert advice from a physiotherapist and the right type of exercise. The important thing to remember is to keep equal weight through both legs, keep as good a posture as possible and try to keep your pelvis level.
Top tips to follow during pregnancy
· Be as active as possible within pain free limits
· Avoid activities that make your pain worse
· Listen to your body – rest when your body tells you to
· Avoid standing on one leg or prolonged standing
· When standing ensure equal weight goes through both legs
· Sit down to get dressed
· Take moderate exercise – walk with a shorter stride, avoid breast stroke legs when swimming. Avoid impact exercises
· Take the stairs one at a time. Going up, lead with your less painful leg and going down lead with the more painful leg
· Pace your activities throughout the day
· Avoid lifting heavy objects and vacuuming
· Avoid bending and twisting to lift or carrying a baby/toddler on one hip
· Avoid crossing your legs or sitting twisted
If you are experiencing pelvic girdle pain during or after pregnancy you may want to consider the FitBack and Bumps 4 week educational exercise programme
taught by Simone at PhysioCare Holistics.
These are Antenatal and Postnatal exercise classes with a difference!
The classes teach you about the changes your body goes through during and after pregnancy, as well as specific exercises to strengthen your core stability and pelvic muscles which can help to reduce the incidence of back and pelvic girdle pain.
Alongside this the FitBack and Bumps Programme will teach you how to exercise safely during and after pregnancy.
Each Antenatal and Postnatal Programme consists of 4 one hour sessions incorporating exercises, stretches and discussions on different topics. Just some of the things you can expect to learn throughout the programme include:
· How to exercise safely during and after your pregnancy
· How to improve your posture and reduce back and pelvic pain associated with pregnancy by exercising your core stability muscles
· How to reduce the risk of stress incontinence by strengthening your pelvic floor muscles
· How to prepare physically for labour and a smoother delivery
· How to regain your core muscles after pregnancy
· How to flatten your tummy after birth
· Why things may be hurting and how to fix them
As well as delivering group sessions at Holistic Life in Handforth, Simone also offers 1:1 FitBack and Bumps sessions in the comfort of your own home.
Only 15% of women exercise at recommended levels during pregnancy
80% of women suffer from back and pelvic pain during and after pregnancy
70% of women suffer stress incontinence due to weakened pelvic floor muscles during and after pregnancy
So come on ladies, don’t let this be you, book your place on a FitBack and Bumps course now!
Tuesday Evenings 7.30-8.30pm at Holistic Life Sports and Wellness Centre, Handforth.
Places are limited so advance booking is essential
For more information please see https://www.physiocareholistics.co.uk/fitback-and-bumps
Or Contact Simone on 07736453597 or email email@example.com